Friday, September 23, 2011

Synagogue

It was beautiful.

There were about 20 people there - I'm told there are usually more, but because it's the weekend before a high holy day, people don't show up. Anyway, that made me stick out like a sore thumb with a sign over my head screaming "noob!" I spoke briefly to the rabbi before the service. The first thing he asked me was if I had ever been to a synagogue before. I said no and he asked what brought me, so I explained briefly, and he was very welcoming. He introduced me to a few people, and I ended up sitting with one of the women there for the service. Lots of singing and praying in Hebrew followed - I'm pretty sure that made the sign over my head into a neon sign over my head. Anyway, there was a wonderful sermon about aging and listening to our elders. And then coffee and desserts. I was introduced to quite a few people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment